Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Ideal cities

I caved. Heather said we would find no mutually agreeable cities in which to live, but see sweetheart? All is not lost, just most of it. :)
1. Deland, Florida
2. Greenville, South Carolina
3. Gainesville, Florida
4. Gainesville, Georgia
5. Biloxi-Gulfport, Mississippi
6. Hickory, North Carolina
7. Tallahassee, Florida
8. Hattiesburg, Mississippi
9. Atlantic Beach-Morehead City, North Carolina
10. Athens, Georgia
11. Tuscaloosa, Alabama
12. Tulsa, Oklahoma
13. San Marcos, Texas
14. Clarksville, Tennessee
15. Crystal River, Florida
16. Chattanooga, Tennessee
17. Clearwater, Florida
18. Jackson, Mississippi
19. Mount Dora, Florida
20. Winterville, North Carolina
21. Daytona Beach, Florida
22. Fairhope, Alabama
23. Hampton, Virginia
24. Oxford, Mississippi

As you, gentle reader, scratch your head trying to make sense of this list, let me shed light. I dislike prolonged, brutal winters (e.g. more than two weeks below 73). I like water (especially the ocean). I dislike big government (somehow that played into this survey because they kept asking me about it). I like golf. I'll tolerate taxes for the arts and education. I won't tolerate long commutes in heavy traffic. I'm fine without an opera. I cannot live without a university library and the opportunity to teach courses here and there.

Which raises a question many of you have raised: How the hell did Tulsa, Okla., get on my list? Perhaps they run the site...

No comments:

Post a Comment